Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Progression of Idea.

I'm currently building several graphics and logos for Mr. Gary Mellas at www.gmelstudios.com.  The process of creating the header for his blog went through several stages (and is, even now, as yet unfinished) that I decided to share:

 The Initial Upload:

It's fairly ugly, I know.  But that's okay, because this image initiated conversation which helped me further my understanding of what the customer desires. 

Notice also that the image was created in shades of gray. That was intentional.  A client will often be turned off by an excellent idea it it is presented in undesirable colors.  I intended to add in color (in the background or in the lettering) and did so in several of the next mockups - although here i will only show a few.

Background Color:

The Mellas's expressed a desire to see a more "square" or "professional" design, and this is one result.  I know the "G" in the logo is out of proportion to the "M." (The G needs to be wider.)  This was a quickly rendered image to gauge response.   The background has moved from gray to blue.

Swoosh:



We disliked square. The changes between these two images were made to hopefully increase the legibility of the "G" in the logo.
Swoosh:

Final. For Now.

Back to dark gray.  We'll see how it goes from here. Check out GMelStudios' homepage to see it in action.

No comments: